Sunday 2 June 2019

'It is with regret that I am resigning as Regional Adviser for LitDrive'


Five years ago, the marvellous online community that is Team English came into being, sustained first by the hashtag, then by the @Team_English1 account run selflessly by Nikki and Becky, and most recently grown by the meet-ups and national conferences. The kindness, discussion and professional challenge that goes on in our little corner of edu-Twitter has been a source of inspiration and support for literally thousands of English teachers both at home and overseas.

Fundamental to this network has been free sharing for the good of all whether that be ideas, expertise, time or resources. As many of us have found again and again, what you give you receive back in abundance.

We have Dropboxed schemes of work. We have emailed PowerPoints. We have posted whole boxes of set texts we no longer need. We have listened to one another’s concerns. We have improved resources and sent back the second version. We have traded thoughts. We have proofread. We have offered advice. We have built on ideas. We have developed trust and very real friendships.

I firmly believe that the moment you monetise that collaboration – no matter how nominal the amount or the reasons behind it – one of our core values is lost.

It is therefore with real sadness that I have heard LitDrive is planning to introduce a fee for its use.

The resources uploaded to date and the teachers who have committed themselves as unpaid Regional Advisors have done so on the premise that this a free hosting platform set up for the good of all in Team English. Now those teachers are left with the decision whether to pull their resources and support from the site or accept that those who want to access them will be charged.

I fully appreciate the emotional and financial investment Kat has made in Litdrive. Her drive and determination to make it a success is impressive and the purpose of this blog is certainly not to cause upset. However, having raised my concerns privately over many months I think it is right to provide a counterpoint to her own blog and messages on the subject.

Susan Strachan @SusanSEnglish has shared with me the email she has sent to resign her position with LitDrive. I am posting it here with her permission.

Dear Kat & LitDrive Team, 

It is with regret that I am resigning as Regional Adviser for LitDrive. I have many reasons for making this decision, which I will outline below and I wish you well with LitDrive, but feel I cannot in good conscience continue as a representative of the organisation. 

The first and probably most important reason is that the core value of being a free at point of access resource bank for teachers to help and share in workload has changed and while I agree that £5 per member is a nominal fee, the hundreds of teachers who spend hours and hours on creating resources and sharing them, currently do so for free and have been able to do this successfully without having a site that charges for the hosting of their* resources.

I fundamentally disagree with teachers paying for resources and, while I understand you are encouraging this payment as a fee that departments pay, a majority of the funds will be from teachers’ own pockets. This goes against my principles and the reasons that I have for sharing. While, £5 is a drop in the ocean at this time, my concern is that there has been much marketing and launching of the service that LitDrive provides as free and as such charging goes against the plethora of marketing and promotions that saw the unprecedented growth of the service in the first place.

If the core value of charging can change from being free in a matter of months to a nominal fee, there is no reason that I can see for the nominal fee being increased over time and becoming a much more expensive charge. If teachers choose to contribute voluntarily that is up to them, but charging means that an exclusivity is being created meaning that many teachers will be unable to access the resources that hundreds of teachers would have previously happily shared without asking for a penny. 

Furthermore, there is a concern over their* resources being wholly belonging to individuals. If I take an idea from something I have seen on Twitter or on a Facebook forum and adapt it, does it truly belong to me? Or, should I consider it the intellectual property of the original source? For this reason, I don’t believe I should be allowing a charge to happen for resources that don’t wholly belong to me or that have been inspired by others thought processes. 
Another thought would be whether I should allow profit to be gained from resources that I produce in the course of my job, which I am already paid for. If I sell resources or allow a hosting site to charge for the access to these resources, then is this a form of deceit? I have already been paid to produce these resources. 

As well as this, there is the moral conundrum, I feel that teachers should be pulling each other up and supporting each other in the already difficult conditions that we work and by creating another paid for site to share resources, this is creating another way of not supporting each other, but instead creating a division between those who use and can access Lit Drive and those who don’t and can’t or won’t. 

The blog post that I, along with several members of Team English shared https://susansenglish.wordpress.com/2019/05/05/why-i-love-tes-education-resources-an-open-expression-of-concern outlines concerns about paid for resources and I see little difference in the TES charging and LitDrive charging. 

The #teamenglish ethos of sharing appeals to my sense of collaboration, helping and supporting other teachers and while I understand that LitDrive will be non-profit, there will be an element of profit and someone will be paid a charity wage to run the organisation, therefore someone will be profiting from the hard work of hundreds of teachers. 

Therefore, for the above reasons I will be withdrawing as a Regional Adviser and would like my resources to be taken off the site and my membership closed.

I’m happy to discuss further, but this hasn’t been an easy decision to make and fundamentally it goes against my own principles but does not mean that others need to feel the same way. 

Regards, 

Susan Strachan @SusanSEnglish

1 comment:

  1. What a powerful blog and email!

    As a NQT, I have found Lit Drive (and its predecessor Team English) to be invaluable in my learning journey. Re-training at my age (50) has been immensely tough and I have found keeping up with younger, more energetic colleagues pretty challenging at times. Creating resources from scratch has been a nightmare for me, and, although a few of my colleagues have shared some of theirs with me, I have still found it enormously difficult to keep up.
    Twitter and Lit Drive have been sources of inspiration and salvation in equal measure, getting me out of some pretty deep holes at times.

    I vaguely remember a request for voluntary monetary contributions when Lit Drive went live and I obliged out of my own pocket (whilst earning next to naff all) because I was so grateful for all the help I had received. This new nominal charge is potentially the start of a slippery slope whereby further charges may be applied for other services or to cover additional costs.

    I also remember several people commenting about how unfair it was that some unscrupulous individuals were stealing resources and selling them on TES and other websites. Where will it all end?

    Numerous individual colleagues from across the country have freely shared their expertise (Matt Lynch, Stuart Pryke and Grainne Hallahan to name but three) all at no cost to flailing buffoon like myself; for that, I will be eternally grateful. I do that this is the end of something very special and could make sharing a thing of the past.

    What a sad day.

    ReplyDelete